I'm super far behind on my blogging. I've actually already had the third Science Unleashed lesson, but I've not written about the second.
After the first night, I was very excited to get back to the North Shore (without the wrong turns this time!) and see what Chris had in store for us. When I walked in, there were a variety of some really cool things on the table: motors, cardboard, propellers, battery packs. This was clearly going to be a fun evening.
We were again working in partners and our task was to make a vehicle that moved. We had a certain amount of time to build our first prototype and test it, with very little direction - except for the basic concept of the car and how we could potentially make it. My partner and I quickly discussed what we wanted to make and divided up the tasks. We made our vehicle quickly and when it didn't really go, we looked at the problems - the wheels were a bit sticky and not turning easily, the motor didn't have enough power - and decided how we would modify it. We made smoother wheels and added a second battery pack (some may say this was cheating, but I'm not among them).
Here's a video of how our test worked out at this point:
Afterwards we had the conference like we had the week before, but instead of just discussion what we could potentially test and change, we came up with a plan of who would investigate what. We ended up looking at whether or not weight made a difference or if more power made a difference. When we tested these as a group, ours went quicker than everyone else's - most likely because of the extra battery packs.
Again, we had a discussion on how we could improve our vehicles.